Parents Association AGM
The AGM of the Parents Association was held in the school March 2022. The committee elected was as follows…
- Chairperson: Aron Mc Daniel
- Assistant Chairperson: Aisling Ginnitty
- Secretary: Caroline Green
- Assistant Secretary: Mary Mellaley
- Treasurer: Elaine Rooney
- Assistant Treasurer: Christine Monaghan
- Also on the committee: Aoifa Dennehy, Fiona Byrne, Bernie Kieran, Olive Hanratty, Fiona Green, Sara Parge, Katy Bailey, Gerry Owens, Michelle Mc Donald, Aidan Green, Patricia O’Reilly, Emma Hickey, Sinead Murphy
- Parent Representatives on Board of Management: Noeleen Dimbylow and Keith Ginnitty
What is a Parent Association?
The parent association is the structure through which the parents/guardians in a school can work together for the best possible education for their children. All parents/guardians of children in the school are members of the association with a number of parents being elected to a committee.
The parent association works with the principal, staff and board of management to build effective partnership between home and school.
Educational research on the involvement of parents in schools shows that children achieve better outcomes when parents and teachers work together.
What does a Parent Association do?
As per the Education Act 1988 “A parents’ association shall promote the interests of the students in a school in co-operation with the board, Principal, teachers and students and for that purpose may advise the Principal or Board, as the case may be, shall have regard to any such advice.
The parent association should work in partnership with the Principal and teachers in the development and review of school policies.
Parent associations can suggest and/or organise extra-curricular activities with the agreement of the board of management, such as dancing classes, sports activities, social events etc.
The parent association is a support for parents in the school.
The parent association can invite speakers to address the parents on issues which are topical or relevant.
What the Parent Association does not do?
The parent association is not a forum for complaint against either an individual teacher or parent. The Complaints Procedure is the mechanism for this.